Monday, May 28, 2012

Tuli here, Tuli there, Tuli, Tuli Everywhere!

Okay, I admit it, I have a "thing" with signs. Yes, advertisements, directions, congratulations, store names, warnings - they are everywhere here in the Philippines. Many are in English and many in Tagalog. The ones in Tagalog are fascinating - I basically try to figure out what they are saying.
I walk by this office every day and I see the following sign posted on the door-
I didn't look the words up in my dictionary and just kept wondering what was so special about Tuli that you would want it painless?
Yesterday there was the huge banner out in front of the town hall advertising Libreng Tuli - free Tuli at the health center. I tried to find it this morning to take a picture and it is no longer there.
Okay so I was wondering what the heck is so special about Tuli?
Apparently here in the Philippines, male babies are not circumcised at birth. They wait until they are 12 years old and have it done then - thus, the ads for Tuli.With school starting June 4th, boys will not want to enter high school without having it done, so I guess that is why the ads are everywhere.
I know,  a little weird, but seriously?? Tuli here, Tuli there.....

No comments:

Post a Comment