Thursday, July 7, 2011

Setting the scene


  
The Welcome Poster for us   


We finished our three and a half days of Initial Orientation today and began the next eight and a half days of technical training on education, we are considered PCTs, pre-service trainees. I have attended numerous all day and multiple day trainings over the years and I honestly have to say that this Peace Corps training is the absolute most thorough and informative training I have ever attended. I have not been bored for one second. We go to the beach on Sunday and do our water safety drill with life jackets that PC provides for us during our service. I may go to the local mall Saturday, I have yet to leave the training grounds. It is so lush and green here, so many plants and flowers I have never seen, I feel like I am in a tropical greenhouse or something. It has been overcast and rains on and off, I think this is the beginning of the rainy season. We were told that PC specifically picked host families for us that definitely do not flood when the rains are heavy. I will most likely be co-teaching 4th or 5th grade during the rest of pre-service training and can do a side project associated with education in the community. Official swearing in day as an official Peace Corp Volunteer is Sept. 16, we have a lot of work to do between now and then!
We received our Tagalog training manuals today, very user-friendly. We also got a massive and very comprehensive education manual today and will get our large medical kit before we leave the training site, mosquito nets will be provided at our host family sites. The Philippines is very religious and we were told to expect prayer before school and to be invited to church with our host families, most likely Catholic. Should be interesting!
Making friends

No comments:

Post a Comment