Tuesday, July 12, 2011

PST and Water Safety training

We are in the thick of Pre Service Training for our particular sector, mine is Education. We have class every day from 8-5, an hour for lunch, it is very intense and excellent training about education practices and what will be expected from us. I found out that last year was the very first year that Peace Corps volunteers (5) were placed in elementary schools since the 50 years of PC in the Philippines. We will be the second group (7 of us) to be placed in elementary grades, I feel lucky to be doing this.
I went to the local mall last Thursday evening via the transportation called Jeepney, a jeep/bus combination that is wildly decorated, an experience unto itself. The mall was three stories high and very much like a mall in the US. Since it was my first time off campus since arriving in the Philippines, I was a bit over loaded with sights and sounds. I managed to buy a few items and will go again tonight. There was a bit of a mix up in our packing suggestions and I am in need of more skirts and fancier shoes/sandals if I can find them. I will most likely get the uniform for teachers when I am in my final site. Water safety was fun, enjoy the photos. The beach was in Manilla harbor, so not surprising that it was not the cleanest place, but it was fine. Food here at the IIRR has been wonderful, I am eating vegetarian and feeling very healthy, I have not gotten sick, many folks have from food/water or malaria meds. We continue getting our shots. When I am with my host family starting this coming Sunday, I may not have internet access but very very infrequently. Please feel free to email me via gmail, I miss all back home and want to hear what you are up to. Did I tell you that one of the Volunteers is from Summerville, about 30 min. from me in S.C. - we did not know each other until now, great co-incidence. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment