Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Off to Bataan












We arrived in the Province of Bataan on Sunday. Our host families were waiting for us. We went home with them for lunch and to settle in. My family is very generous and welcoming. I will include pictures of my host family. They have a little store in the front of their house, called a Sari-Sari. They are feeding me very well, the rice is sticky and delicious. I have my own room and it is very nice. Other trainees are in homes close by, we walk to language class, back home for lunch and then other activities. We met the Barangay Captain, the town Mayor, the school principal where I will be teaching, visited two high schools, one college - today we went to visit the Province Governor and the Superintendent of Education. This is the first year they are having kindergarten and adding grades 11 and 12. Bataan is where many famous battles in WWII happened, I did not know this and would like to know more. If you are interested, perhaps Google Bataan and WWII and the Bataan Death March. Bataan now is very proud of the fact that they have reduced class size in the schools and is one of the very best provinces in education in the Philippines. We are very lucky to be training here. It has been hotter than when we were near Manilla but I am adjusting. Lots of rice fields everywhere. Yesterday a chicken joined me as I got dressed and I saw a tricycle with a fenced side car that was pedal powered and a huge huge pig was in the side car. One of many interesting sights. I am at an internet cafe right now, just down the street from my host family. I will try to visit as much as I can, we are very busy now and the language training is very challenging. Until next time, enjoy the photos.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it safe! I can't wait to hear more about your family. See you at the next conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! So enjoying reading your posts.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete