Thursday, August 9, 2012

July 25th Feast of St. James

Our town has two fiestas, one is December 30th where you absolutely must visit EVERYONES house and eat food. Last year I visited 10 houses, it took all day, finally someone told me that you eat just a tiny bit at each house. Whew! July 25th is the fiesta of the town patron saint, St. James. He is everywhere, on stickers, statues, you name it.....they say he is a hero because he is pictured on a horse with the front hooves in the air like he was charging....I am not 100% sure but I believe he was fighting the non-Christians....need to look that one up on the internet.
Each barangay (sort of like a subdivision here, but bigger) has it's own name, it's own mini-chapel and of course, it's own statue of St. James the Greater. So on July 25 there is a huge free feast in each barangay, rice and baboy (pig), several masses (of course) and then the PROCESSION. I did not join but took photos of all 42 statues.....it began with the infamous woman who regularly says the Hail Mary prayer over the very loudspeaker, sorry but it is droning and annoying.....I am including a video just so you can hear her say the prayer. I am sure she has good intentions but it is like fingernails scrapping on a blackboard to me.....
Then each barangay and other organizations process through town with their statue.
The school mini-band performed, they are elementary remember.



here are some photos of St. James the Greater (my bunso's middle name is James.....)
Mini-band members

St. James


The Mass

More St. James

I love the faces of these men

Old fashioned way....


No comments:

Post a Comment