Sunday, August 14, 2011

Last two weeks

A hectic two weeks. August began with a whirlwind of activity. My first co-teaching, my site placement interview and a 4 hour community information gathering session titled PACA. Co-teaching went fine, I realized how much I have to learn about Filipino education style, they love to choral read everything as a class. My counterpart teacher is so very nice and wants to help me. It is a bit weird teaching English, I am actually learning things about grammar that I didn’t even realize. The site placement interview was a blur, I was asked several questions about how I felt about an 8 hour boat ride and was led to think that maybe I would be placed on a far off island, I was excited. The Participatory Analysis of Community Action is a Peace Corps method of getting the community to really look at what they have and what they perhaps can improve on. We heard lectures on it and read a book but there is nothing like seeing it in action. All of the pieces fell into place so very nicely, it was really cool to see the different community groups share about their lives.
All of batch 270 headed to the Island Cove Resort just south of Manilla for our Supervisors conference last Monday –Thursday. We were all super excited to finally find out where we would be spending the next two years and to meet our new supervisor. The hotel was very nice, AIR CO.!!, we sure needed a break – wow, toilets with seats and toilet paper and soap! We attended several health and safety sessions – PC really makes sure we are aware of possible issues and what the procedures are in case of different scenarios. The afternoon came and there was this huge map of the Philippines on the wall with little photo spots and pins on the map. We were called up individually and our site was announced, we then took our photo and placed it on the huge map. So I am heading to the province of Batangas, just south of Manilla on the big island of Luzon. Many of us were placed close together and at first we were disappointed because we wanted the isolated roughing it PC experience – a few folks got placed almost alone (no other volunteers) on isolated islands. I was jealous I have to admit. But I have researched Batangas a little and it seems very interesting. There are a lot of great beaches, a cool volcano in the middle of a volcanic crater lake, lots of famous dive spots right off shore, the ferry to two islands close by is in the capital, not far from my town. I will be in Ibaan, you will have to search on a map of the Philippines, just south of Manilla and east of Batangas City. It looks pretty rural, I will be co-teaching 3rd grade, yeah!, and my supervisor is so very sweet. She is an older lady with one daughter, we got along great. I received photos of my next host family, the house looks nice and there is a big family within the compound. Eventually I hope to live on my own, around Christmas, and after I have explored the area, maybe I can move closer to the coast. It is hard to tell how close I am, maybe 10 miles, but transportation here can be slow, so who knows exactly how long. The Taal Volcano and Lake is called the Sailing Mecca of the Philippines, so maybe on a weekend or two I could head over there. Batangas City is where you catch the ferries to Mindoro and Marinduque Islands that are just south of where I will be. I have to admit I was a bit bummed out not being placed right on the coast or on a small isolated island, but maybe it will be better to visit all the cool places and live on the big island.
Yesterday I took the jeepney to town, Dinalupihan, went out for pizza and shopping- what an experience looking for a few items, it has very limited selections on almost everything. I am going to try and post some photos of the lovely ladies I met in the market selling pork, fish and vegetables. I went swimming at a local pool today, heavenly because it has been so so hot, I can’t believe how much we all sweat when the sun is out, it is exhausting. I am drinking tons of water and my powder Gatorade 2. I co-teach again tomorrow and Wed. and then on Friday our entire group here will be doing a training at an alternative learning center. Enjoy the photos – random scenes that I have found interesting, kids on my street, etc.










1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that you have received your assignment and are getting ready to settle in to your new location.
    Since it is the middle of August here on the east coast of the USA, it is warm and muggy. Although, I am sure that your tropical climate is much more intense.
    Enjoy reading every installment of you adventure.
    My Sister Noreen and my mother are following you as well.
    Keep well, Looking forward to the next installment.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete